A SPECTACULAR classic Alfa Romeo sold for an above-estimate £164,200 at Coys’ recent auction sale held at Ascot Racecourse.
The Italian-registered 1946 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 S Pininfarina Cabriolet had been expected to make between £140,000 and £160,000.
Introduced in 1938, the Alfa Romeo 2500 (2443cc) was the last 6C road car. World War Two was coming and car development had stopped, but a few hundred 6C 2500s were built from 1940-1945.
Post-war, the first new Alfa Romeo model was the 1946 6C 2500 Freccia d’Oro (Golden Arrow), of which 680 were built through to 1951, with bodies by Alfa Romeo. The 2500 had an enlarged engine compared to its predecessor, this Vittorio Jano designed double overhead cam engine was available with either one or three Weber carburetors.
The triple carburetor version was used in the top of line SS (Super Sport) version. The 2443cc engine was mounted to a steel ladder frame chassis, which was offered with three wheelbase lengths: 3,250mm on the Turismo, 3,000 mm on the Sport and 2,700 mm on the Super Sport. Various coachbuilders made their own versions of the 2500, but most of the bodywork was made by Touring of Milan.
The Tipo 256 was a racing version of 2500, with eight made between 1939-1940 for the Mille Miglia and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The body styles included a Spider and Berlinetta (coupe) versions. With power output of 125 bhp, it could achieve a top speed of 200 kilometres per hour.
These cars were sold to wealthy customers like King Farouk, Ali Khan, Rita Hayworth, Tyrone Power and Prince Rainier. The 2500 was one the most expensive cars available at its time. The last 6C was produced in 1952, and was replaced by the 1900.
The car sold at Coys was a very rare long chassis Pininfarina Cabriolet. Most were short chassis cars. Very graceful and stately and in beautiful original condition cosmetically, with amber switches, which is so rare in the 21st century in an era where all but a few cars have been restored away from the original and valuable manufactures finishes and materials.
Sold in 1946 to Piero Mastrangelo in Rome and has spent the latest part of its life in a collection in Ivrea.